Re: for John Hardin's wish list

1998-08-24 11:17:12
Excerpts from mail: (22-Aug-98) Re: for John Hardin's wish list by Stan Ryckman
6. Variables containing what came before and after $MATCH.

Oh, yeah, I like that idea.

I have a wish list feature request to add to the list. I actually sent this
to Stephan last year, but (of course) he never responded.

7. The motivation for this enhancment is that I think it's rather unfortunate
that, if one wants to replace either the header or body of an e-mail, one is
forced to fork an additional process. For example,

    :0fhwi
    * somecondition
    | echo "$SOMEVAR"

What I propose is making the search area pseudo-variables H and B into more
concrete (yet still special) variables, so that one could instead do the
following:

    :0
    * somecondition
    { H = $SOMEVAR }

or

    :0
    * somecondition
    { B = $SOMEVAR }

Another example:

    :0
    * somecondition
    { H = "$HX-Foo-Header: blah
"
    }

This would be much more efficient than forking an external program. It
doesn't sound like much of a feature, but I would find it pretty useful.