Re: conditional sort

1998-11-23 03:56:25
On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:01:29 +0000 (), idiot(_at_)main(_dot_)put(_dot_)com
wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Bennett Todd wrote:
BTW, I don't use locks, since I use Maildirs exclusively; if you
aren't using Maildir you probably should start recipes with ":0:"
rather than ":0".
". . . since I use Maildirs . . ."  I don't use locks but I'm afraid I
don't know what "Maildirs" is/are?  Can you enlighten me?  I might be
using them but just not konw it.

You would know, trust me. And since you are not (your folders are
regular mbox files), you should always use locking.

See <http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/mini-faq.html> which attempts to
explain file locking.

:0 HE
* ^blahblahblah
blahblah
I know from the man pages that H is the egrep for the header and is a
default.  So I probably can take it out no?  Now I'm confused about the E
that I use.  The procmailrc(5) man pages says:

If you don't know why it's there, take it out.

    :0:
    * ^blahblahblah
    blahblah

(The H is also redundant, it's the default unless you specify a B flag.)

This recipe only executes if the immediately preceding recipe was not
executed.  Execution of this recipe also disables any immediately
following recipes with the 'E' flag.  This allows you to specify `else if'
actions.
Isn't this the default anyway or am I missing something?  What is the
difference between the E and the e flags then?

What you are getting at is that Procmail will normally stop processing
at a delivering recipe. But if it wasn't delivering, or you
specifically asked it to continue anyhow, you might want to use the E
flag.

The e flag says if the previous attempted +action+ didn't succeed,
whereas E talks about the previous +condition+.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>