Re: filtering non-local aliases with procmail

1999-01-07 01:33:38
At 20:46 06-01-99 -0800, Jerry Preeper wrote:

this is because the mail is no longer local and I have only configured
procmail as the local delivery agent.

Correct - sendmail is handling these directly, and since they aren't
locally delivered, procmail isn't invoked.

Is there any way to get procmail to process the recipes before sending the
mail off the machine.

I may be mistaken, but the only way I see this happening reliably is to
create local accounts for them all, and set up individual forwards via
.forward files.  In your /etc/procmailrc, you might be able to handle the
forwards, but that runs the risk that you'd accidentally forward a message
REALLY intended for a local recipient (say, something addressed to a local
AND a remote).

With some creative (read: kludge) filter writing, you could possibly set up
ONE account, and plus it (that is, use the account with plussing as the
destination in the virtusertable file: generic+joebob(_at_)localhost), then in
the filter, handle the individual plussed extensions to determine who
you're forwarding it to - but this would limit otherwise valid use of
plussed addresses, as well as run into all the same problems people have
with filtering messages with multiple local recipients through one account...

What is it you're trying to accomplish through the /etc/procmailrc that you
need done for the remotely directed mail?

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395