Re: filtering non-local aliases with procmail

1999-01-07 20:14:27
On Thu, 07 Jan 1999 18:12:28 -0800, Jerry Preeper <preeper(_at_)cts(_dot_)com>
wrote:
bounces of course because the list is closed).  A number of folks have
asked what we can do about the spam and that's why I'm trying to get
procmail running to filter mail for these addresses as well.  They are all
in one domain name.  I was hoping to be able to modify /etc/virtusertable

Generally, by the time your MTA has accepted a spam message, You Have
Already Lost. Procmail can be a good compliment to MTA filters but
they should really be your first and most important line of defense.

There are various Sendmail hacks available; 8.9.1 comes with a lot of
the antispam stuff turned on by default. A good place to start
investigating is <http://spam.abuse.net/> -- you might also be able to
find something little (Claus Assman's pages, the Sendmail FAQ, etc)
from my links collection at <http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/links.html>

The current game seems to be with centralized blocking lists you
access from within Sendmail rules, or even have connected directly to
your router (in the case of MAPS). Here are the ones I know about:

  * MAPS RBL. The classic. You +need+ this. <http://maps.vix.com/rbl/>

  * Depending on the types of spam you receive, blocking port 25
    access from dialups (ORCA and perhaps EDUL whenever that becomes
    available) is a good precaution in addition to the standard RBL
    stuff.

  * There used to be a good listing of open relay servers (prone to
    so-called relay rape) at dorkslayers.com but it is currently
    unavailable. I hear it is going to be resurrected soon. Ron
    Guilmette will eventually have something at <http://www.imrss.org/>
    but there might be another list coming up in the near future, too.

  * The shub-inter.net list is small but catches some stuff the others
    miss.

To get this somehow back on-topic for the Procmail list, there is also
a way to query these lists from Procmail. Ed Marshall's rblcheck is a
good tool for that.

You'll find links to all of the above, and more, on the links page.
Look near the end for most of this stuff.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>