Re: filtering non-local aliases with procmail

1999-01-07 19:37:30
Basically, I have a site that a group of people work on (and others are
added pretty regularly), some have ftp access and others don't.  It's kind
of a free home page site.  All of these people all have email aliases in
the /etc/virtusertable file to forward to whatever email account they
regularly use, they don't have pop accounts here.  There is nothing listed
for them in the /etc/aliases file.  What I'm trying to accomplish is to
have /etc/procmailrc filter their mail for spam before forwarding it off to
their accounts at aol, geocities, att, etc... This site seems to get
spidered pretty regularly by spammers (I had linked a majordomo archive
from a hidden image so I could index the pages with htdig and even though
the link was only active for a few days, the majordomo list I am testing is
already getting spam even though no-one is subscribed to it but me - it
bounces of course because the list is closed).  A number of folks have
asked what we can do about the spam and that's why I'm trying to get
procmail running to filter mail for these addresses as well.  They are all
in one domain name.  I was hoping to be able to modify /etc/virtusertable
somehow to simply accomplish this, but that seems to create a problem with
sendmail not allowing mail to be sent directly to programs.

I have a feeling that the only way to do this is going to be to create
local user accounts for all of them because like I said earlier, some have
accounts that give them ftp access (and they are chrooted to a subdirectory
of the htdocs area) but some of them just have email aliases that I simply
edit /etc/virtusertable to add - nothing else.

In my aliases file, all I really have in there is the main system email
address and all my majordomo stuff.  Everything else is handled in
virtusertable   We have a custom adduser script that adds their alias to
the virtusertable, with this domain being at the very end and it just keeps
adding the new users alias just before the catch all alias for the domain
which is the very last line.

Hopefully someone might have a creative idea on how to accomplish this.

Jerry

Is there any way to get procmail to process the recipes before sending
the
mail off the machine.
I may be mistaken, but the only way I see this happening reliably is to
create local accounts for them all, and set up individual forwards via
.forward files.  In your /etc/procmailrc, you might be able to handle the

Couldn't you set up aliases like

 alias1: "|/usr/local/bin/procmail /etc/mail/alias.rc
alias1(_at_)elsewhere(_dot_)net"

(omitting any options etc).

What is it you're trying to accomplish through the /etc/procmailrc that
you
need done for the remotely directed mail?

This I wonder too.

/* era */

--
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>
I am a resident of the state of Washington.