Re: Marking messages as deleted...

1999-01-26 16:36:15
On 26 January 1999, Patrick Rogers <progers(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com> wrote:
One of the uses I make of procmail is to archive mail from various
sources based on the sender.  Since I still want to be notified when I
receive mail from these sources I use a rule such as this:

:0c:
* ^From:(_dot_)*soAndso(_at_)somwhere
soAndSoArchive

to copy the mail to the archive folder for that user, and also allow
a copy to arive in my inbox.  This works quite well, but I forget to
delete the copies in my inbox because I don't know which ones are
archived.  Is there a way to add "X-Status: D" to the header of the
copy in my inbox?

    None that I'm aware of.  Messing with messages in your system
mailbox seems to be a bad idea anyway.

(It seems trivial to do so with the copy that is archived using formail
and cat in the filter recipe).  Will this cause any problems for elm (ie:
new mails appearing as deleted and not new.  Or will elm think they are
both new and deleted?)?

    The "X-Status: D" is a Pine thing, and is by no means standard.
Some other mailer beside Pine (f.i. Mutt, Netscape) seem to honor it,
but my (old) version of Elm simply ignores it.  It doesn't conflict with
the status of new (that one being defined as the absence of a "Status:"
header), but if Elm doesn't pay attention to "X-Status:" I suppose that
won't do you any good anyway.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia