Re: Marking messages as deleted...

1999-01-27 08:58:41

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Patrick Rogers wrote,

  :0Afh
  | formail -A "X-Status: D"

Thanks!  Yet again the answer is deceptively simple.  I'll get the hang of
this procmail thing eventually....

Elm won't care because it doesn't understand X-Status: and will ignore

Whoops.  I meant pine.  I haven't used elm in years, so I don't know why I
wrote it instead of pine.  Must be a seasonal thing. :-)

I'd recommend a different approach, though: do something about your mail
notification program so that it tells you when new mail is stored in an
archive folder as well as when new mail arrives in your main inbox.  Then
you won't need to have two copies of a message around or to remember to
delete the extra one.

Unfortunately I often read my mail remotely and usually only have one
telnet session running pine.  Even with multiple incomming folders pine
won't automatically alert to new mail and tell me which folder it is in.
If the folders list screen could be configured to mark folders with unread
mail with an asterix, and enable or disable a beep for each folder with
unread mail, this would be ideal.  Currently I have to remember to hit tab
every once in a while to scan my other incomming folders.  (Life is rough
isn't it? :-)

- Pat