Re: Marking messages as deleted...

1999-01-27 10:18:21
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Patrick Rogers wrote:

[snip]

Unfortunately I often read my mail remotely and usually only have one
telnet session running pine.  Even with multiple incomming folders pine
won't automatically alert to new mail and tell me which folder it is in.
If the folders list screen could be configured to mark folders with unread
mail with an asterix, and enable or disable a beep for each folder with
unread mail, this would be ideal.  Currently I have to remember to hit tab
every once in a while to scan my other incomming folders.  (Life is rough
isn't it? :-)

I do the same thing.  But what I did for myself was setup a cron job
that runs mailstat on the procmail log and email the result to my
inbox.  That tells me how much mail came in and where it went.
(A lot of it is monitoring junk I toss to /dev/null but I like to know
when it stops arriving, for instance.  Then I go look at the machine
that should be sending it, but isn't.)  I use Pine, too, but I have to
pop it off a corporate-run mail server with fetchmail first, so I
really only have one usable incoming folder.  I don't recall why, now,
but setting up multiple ones didn't work with my patchwork setup.

--
Joi Ellis                   joi(_dot_)ellis(_at_)cdc(_dot_)com
Outsourcing Solutions       /G=Joi/S=Ellis/O=CDS/P=CDC/A=ATTMAIL/C=US/

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
              - Chris Johnson