One more time - how to re-process messages without mangling From?

1999-02-02 10:20:37

Every once in a while, some messages will end up filtering into my junkmail
file.  For example, a mailing list which isn't delivered with a messageid
to my sever (forcing my server to create one for RFC compliance), but which
subsequently fails my spam check because messages SHOULD be delivered WITH
a messageid, and with these few exceptions, if the From isn't on my domain,
the messageid shouldn't be either.  I usually work around these by
excluding the specific sender from the spam check, but then the sender
changes addresses, and falls through into the spam check.

This is of course why I file a copy of the suspect messages rather than
tossing them to the ether.  I generate a daily summary of spam messages
(flagged from the log), and occasionally even read the summary.

So far so good.  Today, while processing messages through a post filter to
re-inject them into my delivery stream:

        gzip -d -c twits.gz | formail -s procmail -m untwit.rc &

where untwit.rc sets some variables, then simply:
:0:
* ^From(_dot_)*listserv(_at_)bama\(_dot_)ua\(_dot_)edu
./untwit.mbx

A few moments later, I have a untwit.mbx file with keeper messages (as per
the untwit.rc file), which themselves appear just fine.

I inspect it, then inject it into the delivery system:

        formail -s procmail -d PSE < untwit.mbx &

And all of the From headers are supplemented with a second header with MY
local address - AND escaped.  How can I stop this from occurring on
redeliveries?

I've also been battling From escaping in the body of messages - whenever
From appears at the beginning of a line, it is escaped -- not on messages
delivered to accounts not running scripts, but to my filtering accounts.  I
add a header via formail -A, (to flag to my popmail client where to file
the message), and have added a -b to that, but it doesn't seem to make any
difference.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395