Re: trapping mail that you want in your $MAIL

1999-04-08 21:43:52
Eric Smith <eric(_at_)fruitcom(_dot_)com> writes:
Stan - interesting - yes I see the From field at the top of all other
headers points to the originator of the message which can discriminate
between the mail directly from you and that coming from you but via the
listserv.  Instead of redoing all my recipes. is it not better to just put
as the first recipe -a SINGLE recipe something that traps all mail from any
of my subscribed listservs _and_ is either TO or CC me.  And have this mail
come straight to me.

"Better" in what way?  Maybe it would be a smaller change to your
current .procmailrc, but I don't see who such a recipe could reliably
determine that a given messages had been sent to you and a mailing
list, and that this particular instance was the 'direct' copy.  If
nothing else, this hypothetical recipe will need to know the addresses
of all the mailing lists that you're on.  That alone would make such a
setup more difficult to maintain: everytime you subscribe or
unsubscribe from a mailing list you would need to update both this
recipe early in your .procmailrc and the recipe for the list itself
later.  Ick.

BTW, how do I make this mail come astraight to me- i.e. stay in $MAIL?
(and not cause a mail-loop or whatever?

Deliver directly to $DEFAULT:

        :0:
        * whatever conditions here