Re: Red Hat's Procmail RPM (was Re: More on .backward files)

1999-06-12 09:26:39
era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> writes:

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:00:37 -0500, Aaron Schrab
<aaron+procmail(_at_)schrab(_dot_)com> wrote:
 >   chmod go-w . .procmailrc

One has to wonder why the Red Hat folks keep overlooking this;
Procmail provides a compile-time option for Red Hat (not specifically,
but I don't know what other systems give each user her own group) so
it's kind of baffling that they would not be setting that option when
packing it up in an RPM.

Could somebody who is actually using Procmail on Red Hat volunteer to
get in touch with the RPM maintainer? (Harry?)

Yes, will do.  Although I may not be the  best candidate since I don't
really understand what you are pointing out.  I guess you just mean
the fact that .procmailrc (log too) get the wrong permissions.
Or at least different permissions than previously.

Not sure which rpm was responsible, but I installed first
procmail-3.13.1-maildir-1.i386.rpm  (from contrib) uninstalled that then:
procmail-3.13.1.i386.rpm  ( The official redhat version)

I ended up with .procmailrc staying with chmod 600 that I'd set
beforehand.

All seems to work now.

For the time being, rather than change the permissions of your home
directory to something other Red Hat software might have a problem
with, I'd suggest getting the Procmail sources and compile your own.
It's usually not a big deal. Just uncomment GROUP_PER_USER in config.h
and see if there's anything else in the Red Hat RPM which they've done
differently from the defaults (they do document this, I hope?) and
perhaps you want to take note of the locking methods used by the RPM
and see if you get similar results from the routines which decide
which locking methods to use.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention this in the distribution FAQ --
several people have had this problem with Red Hat (RPM or your own
compile).

I haven't been able to reproduce a problem when installing the
official RedHat rpm.  After uninstalling all procmail programs then
installing Redhat rpm package.  Every thing seems to work.  Even went
so far as to uninstall procmail "13" and go back to "10" then use the
rpm upgrade command (rpm -Uvh) to install the redhat version of "13".
Again, every thing works.

Anyway to get back to my original query:
How to pipe all outgoing messages through procmail and a .backward file?