Re: All recipes stopped working

1999-06-30 01:52:58
First of all, I'd like to thank the procmail list for alerting me about my
open relay on my server, the
sysop deleted sendmail as a quickfix, and thats when the problem started.
Sorry for the HTML email,
new job and I'm forced to use Outlook (life in Redmond, WA).  Here is more
detail:

1) Sendmail is back on the box, and no longer allowing relays
2) No stale lockfiles, and
3) Verbose logging is on, and it opens the file for writing
4) If the mail comes from the daemon, it will go in the file i.e. if I
bounce an email and it comes back,
that gets written to the file
5) The account is dantest, the account I normally mail from is dan,
6) I copied some recipes from the bronto (mini) faq and tried them got a
50/50 chance on them working
7) Maildir is /mail and the lockfiles were created and deleted there
8) all mail goes back to dantest, as unread messages
9) the .forward does work, (tested)
10) the os is Slackware 3.4, and on the new box (mentioned below) VaResearch
~RedHat 5.X
11) Procmail ver 3.10
New problem: on the server this is all going to finally reside on, I get the
"dantest(_at_)wildtangent(_dot_)com is
unsafe for mailing to programs" then a dump of the .forward (That worked on
the other box for a whie)
, and I've changed permissions, checked the sendmail.cf, (I the new admin of
this box) nada.  But I think
I saw this somewhere I'll keep looking.

This thing worked until sendmail was deleted, any ideas where a misconfig
is?

Thanks again for all you help, up till now I took email for granted.

Dan

What happens if you turn on (verbose) logging?  Does the mail go to
your regular mailbox?  If not, is there an IN.testing file in another
directory (did you set MAILDIR?)  What does the preceding part of
your .procmailrc look like?  What does your .forward look like?
Does .forward actually get looked at (try forwarding to another account
to find out)?  Can you run the recipe using procmail from the command
line?  Can you run it from the command line on the machine that
actually delivers your mail?

That should work right?

There are a lot of things that could go wrong.  Posting more information
such as answers to those questions will help us help you better.

<HTML>
<HEAD>

Oh ugh, HTML too?

Cheers,