Re: splitting large mail msgs.

1999-12-12 01:12:22
This resulted in a message with no body.  I'm trying it with another client
to see if there is any difference, but I suspect there is something awry.

 | formail -rI"To: $ALTADDR" -A"X-Loop: $MYADDR" | splitmail -d -i split

could we possibly break this line down for the sake of my education?

-josh

 SPLISIZE=100000
 MYADDR=Savinien(_at_)excite(_dot_)com
 ALTADDR=silver(_at_)mobile(_dot_)net

 ## check that the message exceeds message max
 ## if it does, then format the header to forward the
 ## e-mail to the required address, and pass the entire
 ## message to split_send.
 :0
 * > $SPLITSIZE
 * !^X-Loop:.*$MYADDR
 | formail -rI"To: $ALTADDR" -A"X-Loop: $MYADDR" | splitmail -d -i split

 The recipe above checks if the message size exceeds $SPLITSIZE
 bytes, which is arbitrarily set to 100000 in this example.  If
 them message exceeds the limit, and there is no accidental
 e-mail loop, it formulates a new messages that forwards to
 $ALTADDR and adds a loop safeguard, and then sends this message
 to the Unix splitmail command.  Here's the into. to 'splitmail':