Re: MX backup + compress.

1999-12-12 18:32:38
At 13:36 1999-12-12 -0800, Jason C. Leach wrote:

We are going to have another system act as a email backup for us, and we
will in tern do the same for them.  I think it has something to do with
the MX system.

It has to do with DNS MX records. See chapter 21 of the ORA Sendmail "bat book".

MX is the domain of MTAs (sendmail is a common MTA = Mail Transport Agent), not Procmail (LDA = Locan Delivery Agent). I'm not versed in excessive hacking of the sendmail.cf rulesets (if in fact you're running Sendmail as your MTA), but if what you're trying to accomplish can be done, it'll be done there, not with procmail.

They are a small/mid sized ISP and although we are probably the 3rd MX
backup for them, if the other MX backups go down we could get LOTS of
email from them.  I would like to compress this email if I could for
the duration of it's stay on our system.

You should carefully think about the compression strategy - ultimatley, it'll be a LOT easier and less error prone if you simply mount a large volume for the mail spool. If you DO set up for MX'ing a traffic-ladden domain, having a separate server for the mailspool might be better yet - then the sudden increase in traffic won't bog resources for your regular processes (esp. if you're going to use compression).

It will come in addressed to pc.theredomain.net, which will be completely
different that our own, of coarse.  So I probably would want to use the
domain in the TO: to determine if it should be filtered.

N/A - the LDA (procmail) doesn't get invoked for MX spools for the very simple reason that they aren't for LOCAL DELIVERY.

Before attempting to manipulate mail for a large group of people, you should be VERY familiar with sendmail and procmail. It is one thing to screw up your own mailbox - and quite another to give the shaft to hundreds if not thousands of users.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395