Re: Forwarding First Part of Message to alphanumeric pager

2000-02-12 20:19:03
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Keith Calligan wrote:

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research on the subject of using procmail to forward
messages to an alphanumeric pager but haven't seen anything that is exactly
what I am looking for.

I have procmail functional on my server and it is working properly.  What I
need is a recipe that forwards all email to my alphanumeric pager's email
address.  I only need to forward the sender, subject, and the first 200
characters of the body to my pager.

Everything else I've seen involves breaking the messages down into a bunch of
smaller messages.  I just need the first part of the message sent to my pager.

Thanks,

Keith Calligan
kcalligan(_at_)home(_dot_)com
http://www.nwiserv.com

Keith,

You can do this with a Perl script.  Set up a recipe:

:0 c
{
  :0 fw: perl.lock
  | /path/to/filter.cgi

  :0 a
  ! email(_at_)pager(_dot_)com
}

Use the following Perl script. Place it in a file called filter.cgi (you
can give it any name as long as it's the same one you use in the recipe),
and chmod 755 filter.cgi.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
# filter.cgi
# This program is used as the filter for mail forwarded to my pager

while (<>) {
    if (1 ... /^$/) {
        if (m/From:.*/) {
            $header .= $&."\n";