Re: PC procmail & POP3?

2000-08-14 09:41:06
At 08:45 2000-08-11 -0700, Larry Wright wrote:
My ISP is ending shell accounts, and I am wondering if one can use
procmail on a PC with mail retrieved with POP3, and if so, how it would
work.

Get and install some flavour of Linux. It runs on PCs. Now, if when you say "PC", you're referring to the operating system "Windows", then the answer is NO.

You could always consider taking some older hardware (or heck, brand new stuff -- it isn't so expensive anymore), and building a gateway machine for a home LAN to fetch and process your mail, as well as provide other services (all of which are outside the scope of this mailing list). It doesn't need to be a very powerful box (though once you install it and start to use it, you'll regret tossing it on ancient hardware because you'll be wanting to do so many things with it eventually).

If you set it up with a dedicated net connection (or at least static IP address), and have a registered domain (or appropriatley listed host on another domain), your server would be set up pretty much just like any other mail server, although if you're not on a fulltime connection, you'll need some scripts that tickle the MX server that accepts your mail while you're offline to get it to queue the messages for transfer to your server.

OTOH, if you go the route of just using an existing POP or IMAP mailbox at your ISP and using regular dialup access, 'fetchmail' is probably the utility you want to use. I don't use it for the same thing as you (I have actual servers running), but for a long time I've used it to fetch mail from various remote accounts (including several at Netcom), so as to pull all those messages under the fold of my monolithic procmailrc processing.

Once you get the mail to your mailspool on the linux box, procmail works just as if you were running it on your ISP servers (with possible exceptions, such as parsing the FROM header, which ends up being the mailbox you're fetching the message from, rather than the original sender, though I think there may be a fetchmail switch for fudging that).

Check the list archives for 'fetchmail' for some more information on it.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395