Re: PC procmail & POP3?

2000-08-15 01:14:54

At 08:45 2000-08-11 -0700, Larry Wright wrote:
My ISP is ending shell accounts, and I am wondering if one can use
procmail on a PC with mail retrieved with POP3, and if so, how it would
work.

Now, if when you
say "PC", you're referring to the operating system "Windows", then the
answer is NO.

Curses - I was hoping for a quick-and-dirty solution, and thought there
might be ports of procmail, etc. Might have known Win would not have
something so useful :-).

Get and install some flavour of Linux.  It runs on PCs.

I've not yet crossed the threshold, but it comes ever-closer with each
Office virus and 'can't do that' I run across.

other mail server, although if you're not on a fulltime connection, you'll
need some scripts that tickle the MX server that accepts your mail while
you're offline to get it to queue the messages for transfer to your server.

I'll probably not be full-time, to minimize security risks. This sounds
useful. If you could point me to a reference for the 'tickle', I'd
appreciate it.

OTOH, if you go the route of just using an existing POP or IMAP mailbox at
your ISP and using regular dialup access, 'fetchmail' is probably the
utility you want to use.

I tried to find a Win fetchmail, with no luck, but thanks for the pointer.

Once you get the mail to your mailspool on the linux box, procmail works
just as if you were running it on your ISP servers (with possible
exceptions, such as parsing the FROM header, which ends up being the
mailbox you're fetching the message from, rather than the original sender,
though I think there may be a fetchmail switch for fudging that).

This is exactly what I wanted to do on the Win box :-). I was even willing
to manually run Win-procmail on some file, instead of having it
auto-process in the usual fashion.

But then I'd need Win-procmail. As I said -- ever closer...

Thanks much for the info,

Larry