Re: PC procmail & POP3?

2000-08-14 22:59:35
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Larry Wright wrote:

My ISP is ending shell accounts, and I am wondering if one can use
procmail on a PC with mail retrieved with POP3, and if so, how it would
work.

It works exactly the same as it does anywhere else.

Is there a PC version of procmail? If so, can it be used to
process any Unix-style 'file' downloaded from an ISP, or does
it work only in the POP3 'loop'?

If you download your mail with software such as fetchmail, which
delivers to a local SMTP on port 25, procmail will be called to
process the mail.  So as long as you're using a common dist and
have both sendmail and procmail installed, it should work no
problem so long as you put your .procmailrc file in your home
directory.

What would one have to do to make this work?

Configure fetchmail to download your mail via POP or IMAP,
etc.. to a local mail spool on your machine.  Configure
.procmailrc to include the rules you prefer.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

       Try out Red Hat Linux today:  http://www.redhat.com
           ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/