Re: New twist in spam mail

2000-08-31 06:12:50
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 05:12:09 -0700
From: Harry Putnam <reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com>

Can there be any truth at all to this?

  Hi there.  First and formost, this is not legally a spam mail.

Legal definition of spam?  None that I'm aware of.
It's spam.

  anyways.  Secondly, I got explicit permission from my ISP (Which is
  currently Net Zero) and the server of USWEST claiming that this is
  not spam mail and it is technically legal.  What is NOT legal is

Er, technically, spam is also legal.  However, in almost
all cases, spam is also a violation of a contract - the
terms of service.  If it is not a violation, then the
spammer has nothing to fear from you forwarding said
spam to the abuse department.

  sending emails back that are FLAME mails or emails containing
  threats or swear words.  All emails like that will be saved and
  reported to your ISP.

Threats may be illegal.  Swear words are not.  Reports
of spam to abuse departments, however, are certainly
legal.  Why would on respond directly to the spammer
anyway?  And if one is forwarding the spam to the
abuse department of an ISP, swear words and threats
are an awfully silly way to attempt to get them to
do something about the spammer.

--d