Re: gosh, I wish I could use it

2000-09-09 19:49:01

The irony is that if I could get over the hump with Linux, I could make use
of what I've learned as a Unix user and not have to crowd my brain with Win-
dows crud.  But the Windows crud comes in particle by particle (or perhaps
Isaiah 28:10 says it better), while Linux administration and maintenance
would be a huge gulp to swallow at once.

I often use my daughters as examples of intelligent people who are capable
users of computers; the can and do use them to process words, email & c, but
they only see them as tools.

I've not tried to install Windows 98, but I reckon they'd find it esier to
setup a Linux box based on RHL 6.2 than one with Windows.

Add StarOffice or WordPerfect and they can do all they want to do. It really
IS easy, at least for the simpler cases.

It becomes more difficult when one wants to use the commandline, but I've not
found good docs on Windows for hat either. And setting up much of the server
software (inn, Postgresql, squid, dhcpd & so on) is more difficult, but then
they're not easy on Windows either;-)