Re: How to exit procmail immediately with non-delivery error

2000-11-23 15:35:04
At 11:52 2000-11-23 -0600, David W. Tamkin wrote:

| Hock a semicolon between them.

No, do not add a semicolon.

My bad.  As indicated, I don't use the exitcode stuff to bounce messages.

However, 75 is probably a bad choice, as it
requeues the message for another try.  67 or 77 would be better.

Are you saying that sendmail is keeping the SMTP session upen until procmail has successfully delivered it to the local mailbox? I had rather been working on the expectation that the SMTP was completed and the remote server handed a successful completion code. Thus the difference in bounces which you get from your _own_ mailer daemon (those caught during SMTP transactions), and bounces mailed to you from the remote server (those which resulted in LDA faults which resolved after the SMTP was closed, and thus sendmail had to fire off a new message in reply).

(not that even if =75 would work that I'd use it - guaranteed way to piss off your admin if s/he knew what you were doing).

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395