Re: How to exit procmail immediately with non-delivery error

2000-11-23 19:36:36
PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software
Engineering) writes:
At 18:01 2000-11-23 -0600, Philip Guenther wrote:

No.  My impression is that the message would be requeued locally at the
recipient's end with its MTA, which would try to hand it to the LDA again at
a later time rather than bouncing it to the envelope sender.

Correct.  The design of SMTP is such that, for all practical purposes,
the MTA must accept and queue the message before attempting local

This is very firmly what I have understood for a long time.  So, I'm
puzzled at just how procmail returning a 75 could possibly cause the remote
host to requeue a message _it_no_longer_has_in_the_queue_ (seeing as at the
time of the SMTP transaction, sendmail said "I've got it, thanks", and
handed back the session/messageid).

Your understand is correct: it can't.  I just reread your last reply to
Mary Smith and what you said there appeared to be correct, modulus the
semicolon bit.

Philip Guenther