Re: procmail automounting home??

2000-12-03 09:49:21
David Linn thought I could help Ken Teh:

You'll need to tell procmail to look in a different place that
$HOME/.procmailrc and I can't tell you how to do that off the top of my
head.  Hopefully Philip G. or David T. will speak up on that issue.

I've no experience as a system administrator and thus none with configuring
an MTA to call procmail as LDA; I've used procmail only from .forward or from
the shell.  Likewise, my comprehension of the mounting problem is limited.

But it seems to me that a definition of procmail as the local mailer in the
MTA's configuration file requires procmail's -d option to set the user, and
naming an rcfile on the command line is incompatible with that.  So, if this
mounting problem requires that the default rcfile for a user be something
outside the user's $HOME, Ken would need to recompile procmail to change
that in the config.h file.

Naming another rcfile as a SWITCHRC in /etc/procmailrc may not help;
procmail will still try to open the default rcfile and thus to cross the
mount, and if delivery is not completed at the end of the other file,
procmail will go gunning for ~/.procmailrc.

Another possibility might be to use /etc/procmailrcs/$LOGNAME as the rcfile
instead of using the -d option, but please don't ask me how the heck those
puppies work.