Re: Removing [somelist] from subject lines

2001-01-25 12:46:42
cory wrote:
I'm currently filtering mail using home-grown rules.  Any messages that
aren't TO_ me and contain certain keywords in the subject or body get sent
to a spam file, which is deleted periodically.  Works good.

Unfortunately, some spam gets through.  Most often it's of the form:

From: getrichquick(_at_)somefakedomain(_dot_)com
To: cory(_at_)olga(_dot_)net, cory(_at_)someotherdomain(_dot_)com,
cory(_at_)yetanotherdomain(_dot_)com
Cc: cory(_at_)andanother(_dot_)com, etc...

I'm having trouble forming the recipe to filter out spam with these
headers.

Here's a starting point...

    ################ sample code begins
    :0
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)olga\(_dot_)net
    spam

    # If we get here, there was at least "cory(_at_)olga(_dot_)net" in the
    # header.  Were there any more?
    # NOTE: this recipe isn't perfect.  It won't identify
    #       "cory(_at_)olga(_dot_)net(_dot_)otherdomain(_dot_)com" as a bogus
address, but
    #       probably the mail will have "cory(_at_)someotherdomain(_dot_)com" or
    #       something like that in it, so it's likely "good enough"

    :0
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)[^o]
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)o[^l]
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)ol[^g]
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)olg[^a]
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)olga[^(_dot_)]
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)olga\(_dot_)[^n]
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)olga\(_dot_)n[^e]
    * ! ^TO_cory(_at_)olga\(_dot_)ne[^t]
    {
        # There were NOT!  So skip the next recipe.
    }

    :0 E
    # in other words, there WAS cory(_at_)somewhereElse; spam-file it.
    spam