Re: URGENT: Procmail config

2001-02-06 13:11:21
At 20:54 2001-02-06 +0530, S. Jyotinarayan wrote:
I have my mail server in the US. I am from Pondicherry, India. We are not connected 24hrs/day. So I want to forward all mails from the US server to a local Satyam/VSNL server in India and retrieve the mails via Procmail. So I want to forward all mail accoounts of type <mailto:user1(_at_)domain1>user1(_at_)domain1 (US server) to a single <mailto:tmpmail(_at_)domain2>tmpmail(_at_)domain2 (Indian server). And via Procmail I want to retrieve all mails from <mailto:tmpmail(_at_)domain2>tmpmail(_at_)domain2 and dispatch the respective mails to user1 in my company. Please could you explain to me in detail how i could do this, with examples if possible.
Thanx very much in advance.

Please refer back to the list in mid January of this year when you posted a substantially similar request. Specific questions were asked about your config, including whether *your* host (the one in India) was on a fulltime connection with a dedicated address. Three weeks later, you're now answering _part of_ that question - you're not on a 24/7 connection -- but are you at a fixed IP address?

If you were at a fixed IP, you could just have the US server configured as an MX secondary, and have your host in India issue an ETRN when it connects, thus retrieving queued up messages. When messages get delivered on the net, if your server was online, the messages would come directly to it. If not, they'd be held for you my the MX.

As was indicated in my earlier response to your urgent request, unless your host in India is at a fixed address (or is registered through a dynamic DNS outfit), you cannot actually *FORWARD* the messages from the US server, but rather must retrieve them, using fetchmail (which isn't part of procmail).

Let me make it really clear: if your mail host (in India) cannot be resolved to a specific IP address by the mail host which needs to forward your mail (from the USA), then when it comes time to forward it, just how do you figure it is going to do that? (please be specific, and provide examples)

Saying "yea, call me at a phonebooth in India. No, I don't know what the number is, just call me." won't put a call through. Nor will it work for forwarding your email.

OTOH, since the host in the USA is on a dedicated IP, you can connect to the net with your host in India and use fetchmail to "phone home" (to the US host), and retrieve your mail. This is message retrieval, not mail forwarding.

Merely having a domain registration does little for you here, since what you need is hostname resolution.

Please re-read the earlier posts and address the various technical questions raised in them. Until you do, I predict there will be few responses to your renewed urgency.