simple manpage question: procmailrc and comments

2001-02-06 11:45:52

from the procmailrc man page:

Comments
       A  word  beginning with # and all the following characters
       up to a NEWLINE are ignored.  This does not apply to  con-
       dition lines, which cannot be commented.

CAVEATS

Par. 2:
Don't  put  comments  on  the regular expression condition lines in a
recipe, these lines are fed to the internal egrep literally (except
for continuation backslashes at the end of a line).

My question:

Obviously, I can physically put a comment in front of a condition
line; and do so all the time; it works just fine regardless of the man
page statement that condition lines cannot be commented. So there is
some sort of minor paradox here. What am I missing?

Is it the case that procmail parses the comment on the flag line, and
skips condition and action line(s)?

Thanks,

ja

panix