Re: simple manpage question: procmailrc and comments

2001-02-07 10:17:55
On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 12:48:07AM -0600, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Joe Altman asked about this section for the man page:

| Don't  put  comments  on  the regular expression condition lines in a
| recipe, these lines are fed to the internal egrep literally (except
| for continuation backslashes at the end of a line).

Sean Straw and Ken Irving have already explained it: if a condition line is
a regexp, don't put a comment to the right of the regexp because procmail
will take the octothorpe and the text of the comment as part of the regexp
rather than ignoring them as a comment.  If it's an exit code test, a comment
to the right doesn't hurt.  If it's a size test, well, I really don't know.

I realized late last night what I was probably missing: I am not a
coder. If I understand correctly, 'good' code has comments explaining
the code...usually to the right of the line of code, rather than above
or elsewhere.

Thanks to those who responded.

ja

panix