Re: simple manpage question: procmailrc and comments

2001-02-06 13:12:05
At 12:25 2001-02-06 -0500, Joe Altman wrote:

Obviously, I can physically put a comment in front of a condition
line; and do so all the time; it works just fine regardless of the man
page statement that condition lines cannot be commented. So there is
some sort of minor paradox here. What am I missing?

#* ^TO_user

* ^TO_user #comment

Are VERY different - the former comments out the entire line *BEFORE* it has been parsed to be a condition line (and therefore, is not a condition line), whereas the latter has a condition line with a comment on it WHICH IS NOT treated as a comment (per the manpage), and is passed to the ereg engine with the hashed comment.

Is it the case that procmail parses the comment on the flag line, and
skips condition and action line(s)?

Someone more intimate with the procmail source will need to answer that, but as a basic rule, I don't intersperse comments between the flags and the action - I put a comment block before the flags. I can't recall specifically why I do this, but I think it may have been because older versions of procmail may not have handled interspersed comments well.