Re: simple manpage question: procmailrc and comments

2001-02-06 14:11:53
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:01:48AM -0800, Professional Software
Engineering wrote:
#* ^TO_user

* ^TO_user #comment

Are VERY different - the former comments out the entire line *BEFORE* it
has been parsed to be a condition line (and therefore, is not a condition
line), whereas the latter has a condition line with a comment on it WHICH
IS NOT treated as a comment (per the manpage), and is passed to the ereg
engine with the hashed comment.

Right. Note to self duly made:

not simply as a part of the regex, but *anywhere on* the line that is
the condition. Which is exactly what the man page says; thanks for
making it more salient. Not that I was doing it, but still...I am now
assuming that this part of the man page:

Comments
       A  word  beginning with # and all the following characters
       up to a NEWLINE are ignored.  This does not apply to  con-
       dition lines, which cannot be commented.

applies to the comments as portrayed above, in condition two.

I also wonder if I am missing something else subtle about comments.

Regards,

ja

panix