Re: Problem solved! Need streamlining advice

2001-02-15 21:02:22
I read Philip's email and posts completely, and I understand
the concern with this method of filtering when procmail
is used as the delivery agent, but fortunately this does
not apply to my situation (or so it seems).

I am using procmail to help a customer track and sort copies of
their user's mail, not deliver it.  The smtp server includes the
"for username" tidbit when it does a BCC.  Any piece of
mail that is not sorted is delivered to an "unsorted" file,
so no mail should be lost.

I modified my recipe based upon the example that Philip
gave in his email and so far, it is working great.

Thank you for the information.

Barton

And not that Philip needs help, but here's a specific example. If I
telnet to either of my sendmail servers and issue 2 RCPT TO: commands
(i.e. 2 recipients) the "for username" tidbit in the Received: header
that this recipe depends on ain't there. Further, under the same
circumstance the server that's configured to insert an X-Envelope-To:
header doesn't do so. Now it's entirely possible that both of these are
due to deficiencies in the way I've configured them, but it illustrates
the difficulty in using headers to route mail. I can send a message to
multiple recipients on my network, have them all delivered successfully,
and *nowhere* does any username appear in any header.