Re: spawning an external app

2001-02-18 10:52:17
T> No, it's fine.  Procmail doesn't expand variables for the logfile notations,
T> but it does expand tokens.

H> I must be missing something, unless this is specific to different
H> procmail versions. The only reason I'm remotely familiar with this is I
H> happened to be working on my own stuff for the first time in a long
H> time and was trying to get a handle on when variables were expanded in
H> the log and not. My limited observation is variables are expanded when
H> referencing conditions, "normal" or scored, whether they match or not.
H> They don't seem to expand in actions lines (e.g. if used in pipe to
H> formail).

Maybe I'm the one who missed something, Don.  It seems in my use that they
are not expanded in logged regexps, but I've never tried it with a weighted
condition (I've had variables in weighted conditions but only with verbosity
off).

As to expansion in action lines, they certainly shouldn't if the action is
handed to a shell.  If a command is executed by procmail, or if the action is
a save to a folder named in a variable, those would be different.  In fact,
I'm sure that

 :0:
 * conditions
 $VARIABLE

logs the value of the variable, not the name, in the logabstract, as well as
(if verbosity is on) in the "locking," "opening," and "unlocking" messages.