RE: Virus protection.

2001-02-27 15:26:49

'twas said:
> How can I protect my mail of virus in help of /etc/procmailrc?
> The subject of virus is exactly: Here you have, ;0)

Correction: that's a LOWERCASE ;o)
Not that procmail is being case sensitive unless you tell it to, but it's worth noting that _exactly_ should be taken to mean _exactly_.

> What must I write to my procmailrc?

I'd advise against filtering against the subject in this case, and just filter on attachments. Visit the list archives for the past couple of months and check the various discussions of filtering for VBS scripts.

Here's what I use (well, a cut down version of it), and I know it captures this specific virus, as well as many other VBS viruses. It will also find it in forwarded messages (which is how I received my first copy of this particular virus -- someone forwarded it to me asking me if I knew what it was).

# Various .VBS, .BAT, and .PIF virus/worms/trojans
:0:
* 9876543210^0 ^Content-[-a-z0-9_]+:.*="?[^"]*\.(vbs|bat|pif)
* 9876543210^0 B ?? ^Content-[-a-z0-9_]+:.*($[  ].*)*="?[^"]*\.(vbs|bat|pif)
$MAILDIR/infected.mbx

The scoring is used here to say "if we found it in the header, don't bother wasting the cycles to look for it in the body."