Re: User with an UPPERCASE char

2001-03-02 19:30:40
jerome Moliere <wwr(_at_)wanadoo(_dot_)fr> writes:
I'm a newbie admin sys running Linux, Postfix & procmail as local
delivery agent.
My mail install runs well except for a user, Yoann( its name) Unix user
on my Linux box.
That's a bad idea having Unix user with UPPER CASE letter but now that's
done!!!
This user is unable to get its email because mail is sent to a yoann
file in my /var/spool/mail directory with an owner yoann ( doesn't exist
!! )
So have you any clues for saving me plenty times!!!

If passed a username containing uppercase letters, procmail first tries
looking it up unaltered and only if that user doesn't exist does it
change it all to lowercase.  If that name doesn't exist in the password
database, then procmail returns EX_NOUSER (67).  So, if mail is going to
/var/spool/mail/yoann, then user yoann must exist, and either user Yoann
_doesn't_ exist or postfix is changing the username to lowercase for you.
Or both.  Or procmail isn't even being invoked.

I strongly advise that you go ahead and change the username to all
lowercase now.  There are many sites and pieces of software on the net
that assume that the local part of email addresses is case in-sensitive
and freely force the entire address to either all uppercase or lowercase.
Making their username all lowercase now will save you many headaches in
the future.

Philip Guenther