Re: need recipe for extracting mail content

2001-03-16 17:56:58
Dave Nadel followed up,

| ...sorry -- I have never been told before that capitalizing a title or
| subject heading constituted "yelling."

Large amounts of text in caps lock are very hard on readers' eyes.  Instead
of attracting attention they generally make people move on without reading.

| Can anyone suggest a means of over-writing the saved
| message-body text, rather than appending to it?

Well, that changes things.  Procmail is not designed for that, so it has to
call cat and a shell, plus one has to name the local lockfile.  So the
previous

  :0bc: # implicit local lockfile name is bodies.txt$LOCKEXT
  * LOGNAME ?? that_user
  bodies.txt

becomes

  :0bc:bodies.txt$LOCKEXT # lockfile name is not implicit, must be specified
  * LOGNAME ?? that_user
  | cat > bodies.txt

There isn't much call for overwriting rather than appending, so there is no
built-in way within procmail, no `t' (for "truncate") flag or anything like
that.

DWT
(I thought of a way to do it without a shell, but it's too ugly to let loose.)