Re: Sigh... maildir filename and cleaning up the mess

2001-03-24 16:09:07
Well, the 10 digit roll-over is a matter for those programs to deal with,
not procmail.  I guess it all just comes down to a design decision, and
you've made yours.  I would just like an option so that I can use
'sort-by-arrival' in pine instead of 'sort-by-date'.  You never know, a
program could (and should) read all the filenames, cut before the first
'.' and then do a true numerical sort.  The date in the filenames is the
only option we have, since sorting by date is a nightmare, unless you
rewrite them all.

It's not procmail's job to fix bugs in every other program.  I would just
rather it work well with what is already existing.  On Saturday September
8th at 18:46:40 there will be confusion with my mail reader as it tries to
sort new messages before all old messages, but after that this problem
won't come up before the 32 bits overflows in 2029 (ominous y2k words, i
know =))

Give me a solution to sort my mail in Pine by their arrival order and I'll
drop this whole argument and gladly go back to procmail.

Procmail is awesome, you're awesome for maintaining it and especially for
listening to me.  I want to use it very badly if it wasn't for this one
teensy little issue.  Is there a possibility that you could do your normal
maildir filenames by default, but add an option to change it to the date
format?

Nathan Shafer