Re: Sigh... maildir filename and cleaning up the mess

2001-03-25 22:27:11
nate(_at_)lotech(_dot_)org writes:
Well, the 10 digit roll-over is a matter for those programs to deal with,
not procmail.  I guess it all just comes down to a design decision, and
you've made yours.  I would just like an option so that I can use
'sort-by-arrival' in pine instead of 'sort-by-date'.  You never know, a
program could (and should) read all the filenames, cut before the first
'.' and then do a true numerical sort.  The date in the filenames is the
only option we have, since sorting by date is a nightmare, unless you
rewrite them all.

Sort by the mtime of the message: that's consistent in the face of skewed
clocks on NFS clients.  "ls -t" works in shell scripts.

It's not procmail's job to fix bugs in every other program.  I would just
rather it work well with what is already existing.  On Saturday September
8th at 18:46:40 there will be confusion with my mail reader as it tries to
sort new messages before all old messages, but after that this problem
won't come up before the 32 bits overflows in 2029 (ominous y2k words, i
know =))

The 32bit overflow will only affect programs running on systems with 32bit
time_t that treat it as a signed value.

Give me a solution to sort my mail in Pine by their arrival order and I'll
drop this whole argument and gladly go back to procmail.

Don't use maildir with Pine unless you are committed to fixing the
patches yourself.  They are _not_ ready for real world use.

I just checked out two different sets of patches (one from qmail.org)
that claim to add maildir support to IMAP-2000/pine (really, c-client) and
they're both based on the same incorrect code.  That code was originally
written for UW-IMAP version 4.5 and apparently no one has noticed that
IMAP-2000 changed the c-client driver interface, resulting in a function
declaration/use mismatch which will crash the server if you use the imap
APPEND command (the elicits a warning from the compiler, so it's not
exactly a hidden problem).  That code also fails to check return codes,
stat()s every message file twice whenever it scans a maildir, not to
mention my original complaint about its incorrectly sorting messages by
name (even when it has already assigned UIDs to the messages!  Hello?!).

I actually started fixing the patch, but I don't have the time to
test my changes, and in the end it's Not My Problem.

I'll post a comment to the Redhat Bugzilla entry concerning maildir
support in pine (#18038) regarding the the above problems with the
patches, so perhaps Redhat will fix them before re-adding them to their
distribution, but they've already marked the bug as "deferred", so it
presumably won't be fixed in Redhat 7.

Procmail is awesome, you're awesome for maintaining it and especially for
listening to me.  I want to use it very badly if it wasn't for this one
teensy little issue.  Is there a possibility that you could do your normal
maildir filenames by default, but add an option to change it to the date
format?

You can always have procmail deliver to maildir folders by feeding the
message to another program like safecat
        http://www.pobox.com/~lbudney/linux/software/safecat.html

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer