Re: Procmail and Mailbox Separators

2001-04-07 23:55:22
Kent Ziebell <ziebell(_at_)iastate(_dot_)edu> writes:
I am using procmail-3.14 with the following definitions in my config.h:

#define sMAILBOX_SEPARATOR      "\1\1\1\1\n"    /* sTART- and eNDing separ.
*/
#define eMAILBOX_SEPARATOR      "\1\1\1\1\n"    /* uncomment (one or both)

as we use Control A's to start and end pieces of email in MMDF format
on our mail servers.  Recently someone send a piece of email containing
a single line of 4 control A's to several of our users, and from
testing it looks like procmail allows the line of Control A's to be
pass through into the mailbox.  This, of course, gets the mailbox "out
of sync", and causes the mailbox to get corrupted.  Anyone else notice
this problem?  (Or have I missed something in setting procmail up?)

Wow, someone actually using that code!

That looks like a bug.  I have a hazy memory that other MMDF delivery
agents would change the first character of embedded control-A sequences
into a control-B.  If that sounds right, I see about hacking in a patch
to do so.

(If you haven't considered moving from MMDF format to something more
common, be it version 7/Berkeley, MH, or maildir, I suggest you do so.
SCO looks to be the last major vendor still shipping an MMDF based mail
system, and many of the widely availible mail programs don't support
it any longer, because the demand is so low.  Indeed, you're the first
person I've heard of in a *long* time to be using procmail with MMDF.
I'll look at fixing the bug, but the war of mailbox formats has already
been lost for MMDF...)

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer