Re: exec not available for sendmail/smrsh

2001-04-23 10:11:02
Hello Andrew/All:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Andrew Edelstein wrote:
<snip>

I am using Sendmail 8.9.3
fetchmail 5.8.0+NLS
on Red Hat 6.0

It's been a while since I read the FAQ, so I don't know if this has actually
been added yet, but it is deffinitly A FAQ.

I followed the quick-start FAQ at http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
It outlines a process that uses sendmail with procmail, essentially "passing
the baton" from sendmail to procmail.

Since sending the original posting, I found another FAQ (I unfortunately saved
it to disk, didn't bookmark it, but was titled: 2.2.2 Alternate .forward files)
This FAQ suggests the following as a .forward:
"|/usr/local/bin/procmail #<userid>" with smrsh enabled, and it now appears
to me
that is what sendmail is using: re : FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh') in
sendmail.mc
Using "|/usr/local/bin/procmail #tim"
I now get the error message:
"|/usr/local/bin/procmail #tim"
    (expanded from: tim)

sh: procmail not available for sendmail programs
554 "|/usr/local/bin/procmail #tim"... Service unavailable

Procmail is already the LDA in most Linux distributions, including all
versions of RedHat since at least 4.1. You do not need a .forward to process
your mail with Procmail, as it is already doing so. Just build your
.procmailrc and it will process your rules automatically.
According to the FAQ at http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
Sendmail is a MTA, not an LDA, this is rather confusing to me...

Thanks
Tim