Re: emails requesting a receipt

2001-04-23 10:23:03
Christoph Kukulies (kuku(_at_)gilberto(_dot_)physik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de)
said something to this effect on 04/22/2001:
Is there a ready to use procmail rule that allows for emails requesting
a receipt that a confirmation email
is sent back to the sender?
I believe in the Micro$oft World something like "request
reception confirmation" is an option when sending an email with
one of these unholy 'tools' like "MS Outlook".

Isn't the idea of these to ascertain whether the recipient has
*read* the message, not whether thay have *receied* the message?
Every client that I've found that handles these notifications
does so when the message is opened, not when it is received.
Having procmail do this seems a little counter-productive, and
contrary the spirit of the thing.

(darren)

--
The beauty of the Internet and the IETF lies in a simple idea -- that
the only standards under consideration are those already in use on the