Re: get rid of 'From '-"Header"

2001-06-30 12:17:46
Louis LeBlanc asked,

| So what would change if I wanted sendmail to call procmail with the -r
| flag?

When I spoke of "the `r' flag" I meant it as a flag on the colon line of a
recipe inside the rcfile (where it means "deliver in raw mode"), not as a
hyphen-heralded option on the command line (where it is a vestige of the old
way of saying -f and would require a local username or a hyphen as an argu-
ment to the option).

If sendmail invoked procmail with -r and no argument to -r, you'd get a syn-
tax error from procmail and sendmail would bounce the message to the envelope
sender; you don't want that unless there's some other reason to bounce the
message.  If sendmail invoked procmail with -r and a valid argument to -r,
procmail would add a From_ line or update the existing one; you don't want
that either!

The only place to use an `r' might have been the colon line of a delivering
recipe, and as Philip explained, I was wrong about that, and it wouldn't
help.