Re: Detecting and logging dupes

2001-08-29 08:51:57
Philip suggested to me,

| The 'W' flag isn't really needed on the recipe ...

True; I left it in by mistake because I edited a copy of Duncan's previous
code (where it *was* needed) rather than retyping it.

... and he said to Duncan,

| I prefer, however, a version closer to the original code:
|
| # Note the 'c' flag!
| :0 Whc: msgid.cache$LOCKEXT
| | formail -D 32768 msgid.cache
|
| # If the name was in the cache then the previous action will
| # have succeeded, so we chain off it with the 'a' flag.
| # The second colon enables dotlocking of the folder and should
| # be used if it's a mbox-style folder.
| :0 a:
| duplicates

Now, I know that that's the standard way, but I was thinking: if the
duplicates folder is an mbox and if the message does turn out to be a
duplicate, that means getting a lockfile twice instead of once.

If the message turns out not to be a duplicate, there's no difference; and
if the duplicates folder is not an mbox and therefore doesn't need a
lockfile, it boils down to a matter of taste.  My preference differs from
Philip's: it looks cleaner to me to use one recipe instead of a compound of
two with a copy and to keep the same lockfile while a duplicate is stored.