Re: Rename attachment and add a message.

2001-09-10 20:39:56
Hello,
I use sendmail as MTA and procmail as MDA.

I would like all messages that come with a attachmemt .vbs or .exe to
be rename with the extension .vbs.potentialvirus and
.exe.potentialvirus  and sent to the receiver.

*grumble-on*
You presume your users are too stupid to run current anti-virus protection..
that would bother me if I was one of your users.  That said, there are a lot of
stupid users out there, so I understand your predicament.  I'd prefer a
server-side virus scanner than a warning for all attachments, fwiw.
*grumble-off*

I think the problem with adding the message is that it's a MIME message and you
have to insert it carefully in the text part of the message.

An advantage I **could** see would be if attachments were removed from the
emails altogether and put to a folder on the server (password protected of
course) that would be accessible to them to download.

I'm trying this idea on my own and it seems to work so far (I'm close to asking
for people to send me different attachments to test it).

The advantage is several-fold, IMO:

1) Save download time for attachments (it's faster to download a file from the
web than it is as a mail encoding (25% savings, IIRC)

2) Archive a copy of attachments on the server

3) Get a virus?  The attachment never even gets d/l to your machine, so you can
safely delete it off the server.  This was really handy for HaHa and "I send
this file for your advise" viruses.

Actually you could use ftp and ftp://user:password(_at_)host:port/path rather
than a web-accessible folder, but I had problems with that method so I didn't
pursue it.

TjL

ps -- you can see a beta copy at
http://www.peak.org/~luomat/procmail/antimime.rc.txt