RE: copies of messages sent

2001-09-24 07:37:50
Well in our companies case we are sending and receiving via POP3, so
maybe I could have the POP3 pass it to Procmail..then procmail pass it
to the MTA, in our case Sendmail.

Does that make sense?  Anyone aware of a POP3 program that has this
ability?

I guess my last question is who would pass the information of to the
MTA, would it be procmail, or would procmail send it back to POP3 and
then pop3 would send it to the MTA.

Hey this I sounding like a really cool project

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: procmail-admin(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
[mailto:procmail-admin(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE] On Behalf Of
David W.
Tamkin
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 8:59 AM
To: procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: copies of messages sent

Tom Warfield,

| Even though this isn't part of Procmail's functions, if you figure it
| out I would really like to see it.
|
| Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the same functionality in the
outbound
| emails.  Actually I am wondering if it is possible to maybe send all
| outbound email through procmail.

Procmail is ready for it: that's why the -m option preserves the rest of
its
positional parameters.  The problem is that MTAs don't have a way to run
message through another program.

Some MUAs do: good old Unix Mail and mailx, Pine, and Mutt for examples
all
let the user override the MTA definition.  By setting it to procmail -m
some_rcfile_intended_for_outbound_mail (or to an rcfile with execute
permission that starts with a hash-bang line invoking procmail -m) and
having that rcfile end with

 :0
 ! "$@"

to deliver the processed message to the real MTA, you get all the
benefits
of procmail on outgoing mail.

But if the MUA has no hook for overriding the MTA definition, the user
can't
do that.