Re: copies of messages sent

2001-09-25 17:37:29

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Andrew Edelstein wrote:

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:24:58AM -0500, Tom Warfield wrote:
Well in our companies case we are sending and receiving via POP3, so
maybe I could have the POP3 pass it to Procmail..then procmail pass it
to the MTA, in our case Sendmail.

Does that make sense?  Anyone aware of a POP3 program that has this
ability?

No, it doesn't. POP is not involved in any way with the sending of
email. It is only used to retrieve stored mail from a mail server.

Nevertheless, check out `fetchmail'.  It retrieves stored mail via POP3
or IMAP4 and then hands it off to a local MTA for re-delivery.  It's then
up to the MTA to invoke procmail, not the other way around, though you can
probably come up with a fetchmail configuration hack to run procmail
directly.

I invoke fetchmail and utilize procmail as my mta.  See following
".fetchmailrc":

# Configuration created <DATE> by fetchmailconf
set logfile "/home/MY.NAME/.procmail/fetchmail.log"
set postmaster "MY.NAME"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
poll pop.XXXXXXXX.net via pop.XXXXXXXX.net
 with proto POP3
       user 'MY.NAME' there with password 'XXXXXXXXX' is MY.NAME here\
options fetchall warnings 3600
 mda '/usr/bin/procmail  -d %T'
    antispam 571 550 501 554

poll mail.linuxfreemail.com with proto IMAP
       user 'MY.NAME' there with password 'XXXXXXXXXX' is MY.NAME here \