Re: weird temp file names and procmail

2001-09-25 10:44:57
On 24 Sep, Philip Guenther wrote:
| Don Hammond <procmail3(_at_)tradersdata(_dot_)com> writes:
|
| [snipped explanation of my config]
|
| > Does DROPPRIVS=yes do anything 2 INCLUDERC's below
| >/etc/procmailrc in this example?
|
| Yes.  DROPPRIVS has an effect where you're using it.

Thank you. Now I've got it. Although I won't be using it there any
more, I'll file the info.

| [snipped more of my setup]
|
| Moving the files from /etc/procmailrcs/ would be sufficient to
| resolve the possible security concerns.  [...]

Good.

| Anyway, it seems like more work to put the stuff in /etc/procmail than
| to put the user specific bits in $HOME/.procmailrc, but if it works for
| you, go for it.

Without bogging this down unnecessarily, calling it user specific was
misleading. This is system wide processing required of every incoming
message, where some small parts have necessarily user dependent branches
before returning for more system stuff. They would run in the order they
do regardless, but go further in my situation than might be "normal".
What might be over the top in a more typical environment is part of
protecting (as much as possible) my pre-teens and barely computer
literate wife from the outside world, and vice versa. ;-)

| >2. If it can be ok with the right implementation, and assuming
| >priviledges are dropped asap, could these rcfiles reside in a directory
| >below /etc/procmailrcs/ or must they be completely unrelated?
|
| They must be completely outside the /etc/procmailrcs/ hierarchy to be
| immune to the special handling performed by the -m option.

Ok. Thanks again. Off to work...

--
                   /"\
Don Hammond        \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign