RE: Use procmail on gateway

2001-09-28 06:34:29
 -----Original Message-----
From: Philip Guenther [mailto:guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu]
[...]

Nope.  If the mailer has the 'm' flag, the sendmail will invoke it
with as many recipients as will fit in the argument vector and not
once per recipient.  That's the point of the 'm' flag.  Note that the
version of procmail is irrelevant as this is a question of
how sendmail
is configured.

Here is what I have in sendmail.cf:
Mprocmail,      P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9,
S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP/HdrFromSMTP,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u

Messages are never sent to procmail with more than one recipient.

If I understand what you're saying, I disagree completely, but I don't
think we're talking about the same thing.  Hmm, if you're
talking about
SMTP and overlapping connects, then it makes sense...but that
has nothing
to do with procmail.

I must have been using the wrong terminology, because I was referring to the
benefits of "overlapping connects".  Procmail doesn't do this directly, but
sendmail breaks down mult-recipient messages to single recipient messages
and sends them to procmail, which then sends them out simultaneously.  The
performance hit comes when the same message is sent through procmail many
times, but I don't suppose there is an easy way around that.

Dustin