Re: Use procmail on gateway

2001-09-28 00:00:57
Hoff_D <Hoff_D(_at_)bls(_dot_)gov> writes:
-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Guenther [mailto:guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu]

MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`procmail', `+m')dnl

I doubt you really want to do that last line.  Passing
multiple recipient
addresses via the procmail mailer requires great care and skill when
writing the involved rcfiles.  How good are you with
recursive rcfiles?

Actually, I don't think this has any effect with procmail 3.22 as it still
passes a message for every recipient of the message.

Nope.  If the mailer has the 'm' flag, the sendmail will invoke it
with as many recipients as will fit in the argument vector and not
once per recipient.  That's the point of the 'm' flag.  Note that the
version of procmail is irrelevant as this is a question of how sendmail
is configured.

Note that if you're using the LMTP support in procmail 3.20 and latter,
you do so via the 'local' mailer in the sendmail.cf, not the procmail
mailer.

This "pipelining" can
speed up some multi-recipient messages when the addresses are scattered
among many domains, but it certainly slows down messages directed to a
single domain.

If I understand what you're saying, I disagree completely, but I don't
think we're talking about the same thing.  Hmm, if you're talking about
SMTP and overlapping connects, then it makes sense...but that has nothing
to do with procmail.

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer