Re: Request to mailing list sa-l rejected

2001-10-15 06:55:54
(*) identifiers used to signify my distaste for the poor judgement
exhibited by the individual responsible for this relaying.  You simply DO
NOT relay lists without the explicit permission of the listadmin, and in
fact, the understanding of the list membership at large.

While I generally agree with Sean, I feel the need to challenge that
last statement, or at least historically qualify it.  It was once a
fairly common practice to conserve network bandwidth by subscribing
a local exploder to external lists, i.e. the external list sent *one*
copy to the local system and the local system redistributed the message
to all of the local readers.  Given, this was back when lists were mostly
managed by hand, but there *is* precedent for the sort of thing that
sa-l(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) represents.