Re: Please help me!! I'm going nuts over this!

2001-10-29 21:35:23
At 20:55 2001-10-29 -0500, RoM_ServO wrote:
I have to admit, I don't quite understand your instructions.  My webhost

I have to admit, I figured when you dropped your query on the PROCMAIL discussion list, and immediatley included a snippet of a rule, I made the rank amateur mistake of assuming you knew something about PROCMAIL, and perhaps had written the recipe in question, and were having trouble with it, which still presupposed that you were working with PROCMAIL.

appear on messages, all I had to do was paste that code into rc.local.s10, and uncomment the line in rc.custom which loads rc.local.s10

Are you positive that the instructions didn't tell you to paste the code into rc.frobbit and comment out some line in rc.invertigo ?

Without proper context, file names are meaningless, because they aren't part of PROCMAIL. As it happens (and just below you casually mention it), these files are part of SMARTMAIL, which is where you should be looking to for support - SMARTMAIL has it's own separate mailing list. I'd be surprised if the SMARTMAIL documentation doesn't mention that. Without context, these could just as easily have been files from spambouncer or some other filter kit.

There are a great many filter kits built using PROCMAIL, but that doesn't mean that the people on the PROCMAIL mailing list are familiar with each of them.

The sample to add the listname worked. The sample to prevent the listname from repeating did not.

I suggested that you enable verbose logging, and induce the error, then take a look at the log to see what procmail is tripping up on. If you can't do that, then at an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM (which still isn't doing your own footwork), present the list with a half-dozen substantially DIFFERENT subject lines which failed to be protected from the subject alteration, and expect that people will reply with cryptic stuff about regular expressions and procmail recipe syntax.

If you give us only part of the equation, we simply cannot provide an answer - we can merely guess, and that's a major waste of time which could be spent doing other things none of us get paid for either.

Other than that, this is all confusing to me, and i kinda need something prewritten that I can paste
into rc.local.s10, since i dont understand most of the other stuff...
Thanks for your help.....

If you're expecting a ready-made hack to a SMARTMAIL filter, the SMARTMAIL list would be a logical best place to look for it. Fact is, if the SMARTMAIL docs suggested this recipe you're using, and it doesn't work (and you've re-checked and re-checked the docs and your edited recipe), then someone on the SMARTMAIL list will probably have run their head up against this same thing and produced a fix for it.

If you check the URL in my .sig (or the procmail manpages for that matter), you'd find useful information about VERBOSE logging, but that only matters if you're interested in learning how to use PROCMAIL.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative to your plight, but if you're not willing to understand the tool, don't expect a line of people waiting to answer each of your questions, particularly if they're exposed to your plight a step at a time, and can't just take the wheel and fix it. Because in short order you can mess up mail bigtime (and not just your own, you can make a LOT of people angry at you by generating mail loops on a mailing list) via improper use of procmail, its use by people who aren't interested (or "don't have the time", whatever) in learning about the tool before diving into it's use isn't encouraged. Your best bet for a "cut-n-paste" solution is to ask for support in the SMARTLIST discussion list, and if that doesn't work, find someone (perhaps at your own ISP?) who will do the work -- on the server -- with your account -- likely for a fee -- for you.

If however, you're interested in learning to use PROCMAIL, check out 'man procmail', 'man procmailex', 'man procmailrc', 'man procmailsc', 'man formail', and <http://www.procmail.org> to start.

And above all, remember not to test new recipes on live mail, but to use a sandbox configuration.