Re: Stopping a loop

2001-11-29 12:18:22
Justin Shore replied to Sean Straw,

| Many thanks for the response.  I think I understand what's
| going on in these two recipes.  I like the latter one personally
| because I see if does file locking.  The first one, I'm not so sure
| on.  Does "mailbox" get locked when STDOUT is directed to it?

Yes, if stdout is *appended* to it and you have the second colon on the flag
line.

When the action is a pipe with an appending redirector (a ">>"), and you use
a second colon to request a local lockfile but you don't supply a name for
the local lockfile, procmail uses the first word after the ">>" and adds
$LOCKEXT (which is generally ".lock") to it to infer a name for the local
lockfile.